Reservation conditions (time period, area, train, etc.)
Reservation reception times, etc.
|Reservation reception time||5:30 a.m. – 11:30 p.m. (Japan Standard Time)|
|Time during which reservation is possible||
From 10:00 a.m. (Japan Standard Time) 1 month before boarding the train, up to 6 minutes before the scheduled departure time of the train on the day of boarding
|Number of people for whom reservation is possible||
1 procedure works for up to 6 people (including adults and children)
* Depending on the Special Discounted Ticket, the area for which reservation can be made will vary, so please confirm for your specific ticket.
Conditions for booking tickets
Trains / Facilities which do not accept reservations
Even within the reserved area it may not be possible to make reservations for some trains/routes. Please purchase separately at the ticket window in the station. Reservations cannot be made for the following trains, facilities and routes.
- Trains or routes for which the train will depart the station within 6 minutes of attempting to make the reservation
- Trains which are canceled or routes/trains which will not be running for an extended period of time
- Routes which involve transfers between 5 or more Shinkansen, Limited Express or Express trains
- Itineraries involving some short routes using Limited Express, Express, etc. trains (e.g.: instructions shall not be given for Limited Express or Express trains for short distances like between Osaka and Shin-Osaka.)
- If transferring, at a fee, through multiple Limited Express trains or the like, routes where 4 or more trains are taken
(note however that even if the number of trains taken is 3 or less, if changing trains within Shikoku, reservations cannot be made for an itinerary involving non-reserved seats or changing from a Green Car to another Green Car.)
- Routes that involve riding a Limited Express train that changes to a local train after a certain station, across both the areas where it operates as a Limited Express train and a local train
- Trains that are only handled in JR Ticket Offices (Midori-no-madoguchi) in certain stations (“Fujisan”, etc.)
- Trains where liner tickets or numbered boarding tickets are required
- Special facilities such as the Hikari Rail Star’s private rooms, box seats, and panorama seats (not including the private rooms on SUNRISE SETO, SUNRISE IZUMO, and WEST EXPRESS GINGA)
- If selecting seat A, B or C in 3-seat row trains such as GranClass (you can use “Select on seating table”.)
- If the booking is for 2 or more people and the desired seats are in separate train cars (you may reserve seats within the same train car during a single reservation procedure)
- Routes with either Hakataminami Station or Meinohama Station as their departure or arrival station
- From Osaka to Wadayama or further, if you are taking the Limited Express “Hamakaze” by way of the Bantan Line, the section where the operating kilometers are slightly less than 201 kilometers (Osaka to Takeno, etc.)
- Itineraries including turn-back sections on the route. (Certain places only allow a Limited Express ticket to be reserved.)
- If the ticket is to be used to board trains on multiple days and a transfer is made to a train with reserved seats, such as a Limited Express train or the like, after midnight (Japan Standard Time)
- Itineraries crossing over 4:00 a.m. (Japan Standard Time)
- Routes in which a local train is used in between trains with reserved seating, such as “Limited Express - Local - Limited Express”
- Routes requiring additional fares (such as “Nozomi” or “Green Car” fares) for multiple sections such as “Nozomi - Hikari - Nozomi” or “Green Car - Local train reserved seat - Green Car”
- It may not be possible to reserve some sightseeing trains, etc.
- If, in the reserved section, there is a train that operates seasonally, you may only be able to book a regular ticket.
- Routes not on JR lines (reservation can be made only for some sections)
- If multiple sections, covering long distances and without changing trains, are designated, or the search criteria or route is complicated, it may not be possible to display the search results.
* Train lines of major companies that can be booked (routes not on JR lines)
|Area in which reservation can be made||
|IR Ishikawa Railway||
|Echigo TOKImeki Railway||
|Ise Tetsudo Railway||
* Even under the conditions indicated above, it may not be possible to make reservations depending on the transport route boundaries.
Situations in which reservation of a basic fare ticket is not possible
- There are overlapping sections on the basic fare ticket itinerary (the ticket is a “continuous travel ticket”)
Situations in which reservation of a Special Discounted Ticket is not possible
- There are limitations on the periods, routes and trains which can be boarded with a Special Discounted Ticket, and if not fulfilling the conditions you cannot select the ticket.
- Depending on the type of Special Discounted Ticket, there may be limits on seating for each train.
- For details please consult “Search for major Special Discounted Tickets”.
- Additionally, there are cases where the train or facility is not handled, where the train or route cannot be searched for or displayed on the booking website, or where a Special Discounted Ticket cannot be sold, so we asked for your understanding and cooperation.