Checking, Changing, or Refunding a Reservation
checking, changing, or refunding a reservation
There are 2 main steps in the procedure. Please follow the guidance on the screen in order to complete the procedure.
Step 1Select “Display, change, or refund a reservation”
Step 2Select the booking you wish to check, change, or refund from the list of reservations
- * Changes and refunds are not possible after receipt of ticket or departure of the first reserved train.
- * If payment is made at the station, changes cannot be made online.
- * Online changes and refunds are not possible after receipt of ticket or departure of the first reserved train.
Regular ticket (with additional benefits)
Reserving a regular ticket on the Sanyo, Kyushu or Hokuriku Shinkansen or Limited Express / Express trains (including some Rapid trains) running completely within the JR West, JR Shikoku, JR Kyushu and JR East area means the ticket “has additional benefits”.
About additional benefits
1. Online changes are allowed!
For a ticket with additional benefits, if payment was made with a credit card online but the ticket has not been received yet, until the designated train departs changes can be made as many times as you like on the Internet.
- * If you change your reservation to an area outside the areas with additional benefits, it will become a ticket without additional benefits, and the number of further changes will be limited accordingly.
- * If payment is made at the station, you will not be granted the additional benefit with regard to changes.
2. Favorable treatment with regard to handling fees (in Japanese yen)
If you cancel your trip or the like, and request a refund, and you made your payment online before receipt of your ticket, you may be granted preferential treatment for the handling fee (in Japanese yen).
The handling fee (in Japanese yen) in the station on the day before or day of departure is based on the amount indicated on the face of the ticket to be refunded, but if it has additional benefits, the refund shall be, regardless of the day the refund is issued, 220 yen per ticket for basic fare tickets, and 340 yen per booking (220 yen for non-reserved seats) for Limited Express tickets.
Example of handling fee (1 adult, one-way reserved seat, in Japanese yen) for regular ticket (with additional benefits)
Okayama – Kanazawa
(with additional benefits)
- * After receipt of ticket, you cannot receive additional benefits. Additionally after receipt you may only change 1 time at the station.
Regular ticket (without additional benefits)
- For reservations that include the JR Central area, the ticket will not have additional benefits.
- Changes for a ticket are only accepted once, regardless of whether the ticket has been received.
- Even if you change a reservation for a ticket with additional benefits to include the JR Central area, it will become a ticket without additional benefits, and the number of further changes will be limited accordingly.
- There are restrictions on change conditions, such as that it can only be changed within the same section, or through the same transit station.
- The various conditions when making a refund, such as handling fee (in Japanese yen) , are based on the Regulations on Passenger Operations. (These are the same as handling at the JR Ticket Office [Midori-no-madoguchi] in JR stations.)
Special Discounted Ticket
- Conditions for changes and refunds of Special Discounted Tickets differ from ticket to ticket.
- For more information, please visit the specific Special Discounted Ticket website.
- Changes and refunds are not possible after the scheduled departure time of the first designated train, even if the train is delayed. However, if the booking is exclusively for non-reserved seats, changes and refunds can be made up to the first day of the period during which the ticket is valid. (Procedure may be performed until 11:30 p.m., Japan Standard Time.)
- Changes and refunds are not possible from the day after the first day of the period scheduled during which the ticket is valid if the first designated train’s day of departure is the day after the first day of the period scheduled during which the ticket is valid or later.
- If payment was made by credit card, changes are possible up to 6 minutes before the scheduled departure time of the train to be taken after the change.
- The period during which changes are possible shall be until the day before the date exactly 3 calendar months after the date of initial purchase (the last day of the month, if there is no date of the same number in the month 3 months later).
- * Trains for which reservation is possible shall be trains up to 1 month after date of booking procedure. However, some Special Discounted Tickets may have limitations.
- For the following cases, a handling fee (in Japanese yen) is required.
- (1) The number of people has decreased from that originally reserved
- (2) There was a change from an adult ticket to a child ticket, or vice versa (a temporary refund will be applied)
* For both (1) and (2), in the case of a regular ticket (without additional benefits), the procedure cannot be performed online.
- (3) Another basic fare ticket reserved at the same time has been canceled
- You cannot change to another type of ticket. However, it is possible to change to a regular ticket (with additional benefits).
- * If your change includes even only a section within the JR Central area, your ticket will be become a regular ticket (without additional benefits), and you will be unable to change it to a regular ticket (with additional benefits), etc.
- If changing part of the section covered by a reservation for multiple persons, or changing the times for some of the trains on a reservation for multiple trains, it may not be possible you to perform this procedure by yourself.
- If you wish to change your reservation and the change and payment were not completed for a reason such as the train being fully booked, the original train before the change will be kept as before. In this case, the original reservation is not canceled.
- Changes to a reservation prior to receipt of the ticket cannot be made at the station ticket counters. You must make the change yourself using JR-WEST ONLINE TRAIN RESERVATION. Conversely, if payment was made at a station, changes cannot be made online.
- If you change your reservation, you will need to reserve your seats again, so if there are no available seats on your desired train changes, including changes to the seating position, cannot be performed.
- If you have reserved a private room or bedding facilities, you cannot increase or decrease the number of passengers, or make a change from an adult ticket to a child ticket (or vice versa).
- If you have selected payment by credit card, sale/cancelation by credit card will be performed for each change. You may not be able to complete the process due to credit card circumstances such as spending limit.
- If you wish for a refund of a reservation that includes a valid period for the basic fare ticket, etc. extending to the day after initial boarding or later, please ask at a JR Ticket Office (Midori-no-madoguchi) at a major station operated by JR West (or JR Shikoku).