Accessibility features at major stations and in trains
Train departure tables
Notices regarding service statuses
In-car information tickers
Designated spaces for wheelchairs
Some cars offer spaces that offer better accessibility for passengers in wheelchairs
In JR-WEST trains, Priority Seating sections are marked in all cars with easy-to-understand signs that read, "These seats are reserved for passengers with special needs." We request your cooperation in regard to offering priority seating to the elderly, the physically challenged, expectant mothers, passengers carrying infants, passengers with injuries, and other qualifying passengers.
Passengers in wheelchairs
- ･ Station staff will be happy to assist with guidance to the platform and with getting on and off the train.
- ･ Arrangements with the station staff will need to be made in advance. As such, we ask that you contact JR-WEST in advance in order to ensure that your travels proceed smoothly.
- ･ It may be necessary for passengers to wait due to such factors as over-crowded trains and service interruptions, as well as during certain times of day. We ask for your understanding and cooperation.
- ･ Wheelchairs that are no longer or taller than 120 cm and no wider than 70 cm can be taken onto the train.
- (Handle-type electric wheelchairs that can be used)
- Wheelchairs with the following approximate dimensions: height and length of 120 cm, width of 70 cm.
- In case of using a car with a deck, they’ll need to use the multipurpose room, so we should verify that the wheelchair is 180 degree turn and straight angle capable.
- It should be able to turn a straight angle in no more than 5 direction changes on a 90 cm wide path. Also, it should be able to do a straight turn on a 100 cm path with no direction changes.
- It should be able to do a 180 degree turn on a path of less than 180 cm width.
- (In case the conditions are not met)
- The facilities are designed based on the guidelines provided by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism and they have the above as requirements, as such, if the wheelchair doesn’t meet them, it cannot be used.
- A staff member will guide you and lay a crossing board when boarding and un-boarding.
- The passenger will have to move by themselves. Please keep a speed of less than 2 km/h, follow the staff member’s instructions and warnings and do not use it in areas other than the designated ones. Be mindful of other passengers and facilities.
- On platforms, remain away from the edges and, in order to prevent falls and accidental movements, align the chair to the lane when stopping and pull the brakes.
- (Stations available for use)
- Handle-type electric wheelchairs can only be used in and between stations with the appropriate facilities. (In case there are train transfers, the stations in-between as well.)
- Please apply for tickets in a period no earlier than 10:00 AM of the day 1 month prior and no later than 2 days prior to boarding.
- Please come with enough anticipation time on the day you will board.
- For people that have difficulties using the restrooms and moving around inside the train, makesurethere is a person that can assist them together.
- There are cases that you cannot board due to crowding and irregularities in operations.
- In case of using a train car with a deck, if the car scheduled to be used is changed or it ceases operations, the following car with multipurpose room capabilities will be used.
- As for incidents or conflicts caused by the handle-type electric wheelchair that the passenger uses, they will have to be tended to by the customer and our company will hold no responsibility. As for any damages that are caused, the responsibility also lies with the passenger.
For more information, please contact us using the form found at https://entry.jr-odekake.net/webapp/form/18112_quab_1/index.do.
The registration form will be unavailable due to system maintenance from midnight to 6:00 am on Tuesday, October 26, 2021.
Please note that the maintenance schedule may change depending on the work needed.
We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
Luggage brought onto the train
- Prohibited luggage
- Dangerous items, portable stoves and portable cooking stoves, animals, carcasses, filthy items, unpleasant-smelling items, items that may damage the train, and other questionable items, are not allowed in the train.
This does not include small birds, small insects, juvenile chicks, or fish in carrying cases.
- Allowed luggage
- Up to two portable items with dimensions totaling no more than 250 cm (height + width + length, with length limited to 2 meters) and weighing no more than 30 kg are allowed in the train. (Please note that umbrellas, canes, personal belongings, and similar items do not count toward this restriction.)
- Items that do not incur fees
- ･ Travel bags, suitcases, sports equipment (including surfboards housed in special bags), musical instruments, entertainment supplies, toys, other portable luggage Sports equipment, musical instruments, or entertainment supplies that exceed the length restrictions are still allowed so long as they can be transported standing upright. (Please carry such items in a dedicated bag or case.)
- ･ Dedicated bags carrying dismantled bicycles for cycling or for sports competitions, or dedicated carrying bags carrying collapsible bicycles
- ･ Guide dogs, service dogs, and hearing dogs—according to the provisions of the Assistance Dogs Act for Persons with Disabilities—when accompanying their owners. However, only dogs adhering to the identification regulations and other regulations stipulated in the law are allowed.
- ･ Bicycles for cycling or for sports competitions must be dismantled and carried in a dedicated bag.
Collapsible bicycles must also be collapsedand stored in a dedicated bag.
Items that incur fees
- Small dogs, cats, doves, or small animals of similar size (excluding wild animals and snakes), with the following restrictions:
- ･ Animals in carrying cases no longer than 70 cm and with dimensions totaling no more than 90 cm (height + width + length)
- ･ Animals in carrying cases with an overall weight of no more than 10 kilograms
- Take the luggage to the ticket gates for inspection at the departure station, and then purchase an ordinary personal belongings ticket as necessary.
- ･Pets must be transported in a case that holds their entire body.